Skip to main content
Years 1 & 2
- Select an individually tailored curriculum with advisors
- Complete coursework
- Minimum of two rotations
- Select mentor: Start your thesis work with the selected mentor
- Complete qualifying exam
- Set up Graduate Committee consisting of a minimum of five faculty members. The mentor and Program Director are automatic members of the committee. One member has to be outside the home department. Program Director serves as chair.
- Write Abstract for qualifying exam proposal.
- Submit to the Director for approval.
- Write a full length proposal (Maximum 10 pages excluding references).
- Student submits the proposal at least 15 days before the date of qualifying exam.
- Set a date for qualifying exam.
- Student presents the proposal before the committee.
- Student will be tested on the proposal and other questions related to courses taken and the current affairs in science.
- Grades will be PASS, MARGINAL PASS and FAIL.
- If necessary complete requirements of changing MARGINAL PASS to PASS.