UMB STAR-PREP is intended for recent baccalaureate graduates who have a strong desire to pursue a research doctorate.
Please ensure that you meet all of the following criteria before applying:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Must belong to a group that is underrepresented in biomedical research. Per NIH guidelines, the following are the racial/ethnic groups currently underrepresented in biomedical sciences: Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, American Indians or Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders. Students with a disability and students from educationally, culturally, socially, and/or economically disadvantaged backgrounds are also eligible to apply.
- Please see the Notice of NIH's Interest in Diversity for further information.
- Must have a baccalaureate degree in a biomedically related science obtained within the last 3 years or will be receiving a baccalaureate degree from an accredited U.S college or university before entry into the program.
- Please refer to PAR-20-066 for exceptions to the 3 year requirement.
- Strong interest in pursuing a PhD within two years of admission into PREP.
- There is no cutoff GPA at this time., however applicants must show academic evidence of a commitment to science. Prior research experience will be viewed favorably.
- Must not be enrolled in any graduate program for the duration of PREP’s 12-month period.