- The Third Annual Cancer Biology Retreat was held on May 22, 2012 in the Life Sciences Conference Center in BioPark Building Two. The Cancer Biology Retreat was a one-day event open to all graduate students as well as postdoctoral and clinical fellows, and faculty involved in cancer or cancer-related research. It was a great success with 142 participants.
This event was a great opportunity for all participants to interact and share research ideas and techniques in an informal and relaxed environment.
The program included oral and poster presentations selected from abstracts submitted by postdoctoral fellows and graduate students.
Outstanding abstracts selected for oral presentation were:
- Graduate Students: Marey Shriver, Kyle Wilson, Jessica Brusgard, Kathryn Hodge, Amanda Schech
- Postdoctoral Fellows: Tao Ma, Karthika Natarajan, Smitha Awasthi, Aditi Gupta, Julian Candia (University of Maryland, College Park)
Outstanding Poster prize winners were:
- Graduate Students: Nicole Perry, Thomas Peterson (UMCP), Ekemini Udofa
- Postdoctoral Fellows: Kavita Bhalla, Richard Hildreth, Hua Zhou
Phillip A. Dennis, M.D., Ph.D., is the director of the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center and Department Chair of Oncology at Johns Hopkins Bayview. Dr. Dennis oversees a productive basic research program focused on lung cancer and he is also an active clinical investigator.
Emily Cheng (Chair), Gabriel Eades, Nicole Perry, Amanda Schech, James East, Ph.D., Richard Hildreth, Ph.D., Mark Hoofnagle, M.D., Ph.D., Jeff Winkles, Ph.D. (Faculty Advisor) and Sharron Graves, (Program Manager, GPILS Molecular Medicine)