The Graduate Program in Neuroscience is dedicated to providing a center of excellence for the training of outstanding graduate students in the field of Neuroscience. Our Graduate Program is an interdisciplinary program of study leading to a Ph.D. degree in Neuroscience. We look to prepare the next generation of scientists who will advance our understanding of the brain/nervous system.Ion Channels and Excitability
Neuroscience faculty expertise and research interests range from the genome to the clinic. Our program enhances interaction among our internationally renowned faculty, and enables graduate students to take advantage of the full depth and breadth of neuroscience research conducted at the University of Maryland, Baltimore. Our PhD students are highly sought after, routinely being appointed as postdoctoral fellows at prestigious institutions.
Research Focus Groups
Current Events and PIN in the News
- Mary Patton, a PIN student, has been awarded a National Research Service Award (NRSA) from the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- PIN students, Haiwen Chen, Sarah Metzbower, and Tuo Peter Li, all in the laboratory of Thomas Blanpied in the Physiology Department have published a paper in Nature entitled: A trans-synaptic nanocolumn aligns neurotransmitter release to receptors. Nature. (Published online July 27, 2016; doi:10.1038/nature19058)
- Chase Francis, a PIN student, has been selected as a 2016 Society for Neuroscience Nanosymposium speaker
- Tuo Peter Li, a PIN student, authored the cover art for an issue in the Journal of Neuroscience (13 April 2016; volume 36 issue 15)
- Amanda Labuza, a PIN student, was chosen to represent the state of Ohio at the Society for Neuroscience Day on the Hill, during which scientists speak with members of Congress and their staff about their research and funding for the research.
- Melissa Long, a PIN student, has been awarded an individual PhRMA Foundation grant in Pharmacology & Toxicology.
- Every June, the Program in Neuroscience hosts a one day retreat. See the program for last year's retreat PIN 2016 Retreat Program.