STAR-PREP Science Training for Advancing Biomedical Research Postbaccalaureate Program
The Teamup calendar below shows a sampling of our STAR-PREP Interactive Forums and conferences during the year.
About the Program
The Science Training for Advancing biomedical Research Post-baccalaureate Research Education Program (STAR-PREP) is a 1-year mentored research training program designed to encourage and prepare recent baccalaureate graduates coming from underrepresented groups in the biomedical sciences for successful entry into a top-notch graduate program.
The program is intended for students who are interested in obtaining additional skills to prepare them for entry into a PhD programs. The program is not for students who are interested in applying to MD programs.
STAR-PREP is supported by an NIH PREP R25 grant through the National Institute of General Medical Sciences. It is administered by The University of Maryland Greenebaum Comprehensive Cancer Center (UMGCCC) and the University of Maryland School of Medicine (UMSOM) at the University of Maryland Baltimore (UMB) campus. The program also receives support from the at the UMB campus.
STAR-PREP scholars receive:
- Salary of $35,568 per year
- Health benefits
- Tuition remission for courses deemed necessary to enhance preparedness for graduate school
- Ability to take graduate courses at the University of Maryland Baltimore campus or undergraduate courses at other University of Maryland Universities.
- The program will also pay for some travel expenses for scholars to attend or present at scientific conferences
- Additional funding from GPILS will pay for a GRE test prep course
- A 50% fee reduction waiver from ETS for the general GRE and/or subject GRE test
Disclaimer: The information on this page does not constitute a binding agreement or contract, information may be updated at any time.
News and Notes
STAR-PREP R25 Grant Renewed for Another 5 Years!
STAR-PREP Welcomes Cohort 6!
UMB Triumphs in Public Health Challenge Learn more >
Millennial Voices: Da’Kuawn Johnson Learn more >
Dr. Ryan Pearson is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences in the School of Pharmacy.