CMBS students may select courses from any program within GPILS. Some courses in other professional schools on campus and schools in the University of Maryland System may be acceptable for enrollment, but students must seek the approval of the Program Director prior to registering for any courses outside of GPILS.
Please check the current listing of courses offered each semester in SURFS as this listing will be the most up-to-date version. If you have questions about a course, please contact the Course Director.
Elective courses will be selected according to each student’s area of focus. They should form a coherent program of study to help each student prepare for their post-graduation goals. Below is a list of elective courses that CMBS MS students have previously enrolled in.
GPILS Elective Course Options
- GPLS 616 - Molecular Mechanisms of Signal Transfer (3 cr)
- GPLS 623 - Molecular Toxicology (3 cr)
- GPLS 625 - Ion Channels (2 cr)
- GPLS 642 - Nociception, Pain and Analgesia (3 cr)
- GPLS 645 - Cell and Systems Physiology (3 cr)
- GPLS 665 - Cancer Biology (3 cr)
- GPLS 701 - Advanced Molecular Biology (3 cr)
- GPLS 702 - Basic Immunology (4 cr)
- GPLS 704 - Principles of Virology (3 cr)
- GPLS 714 - Muscle: Contractability & Excitiation-Contraction Coupling (3 cr)
- GPLS 709 - Advanced Biochemistry (3 cr)
- GPLS 710 - Principles of Microbial Pathogenesis (3 cr)
- GPLS 715 - Muscle Cell Biology & Developent (3 cr)
- GPLS 716 - Genomics & Bioinformatics (3 cr)
- GPLS 717 - Genomic Applications (3 cr)
- GPLS 718 - Programming for Bioinformatics (2 cr)
- GPLS 721 - Microscopy Fundamentals and Modern Imaging Applications (2 cr)
- GPLS 725 - Advanced Microbial Pathogenesis (2 cr)
- GPLS 750 - Current Topics in Molecular Medicine (2 cr)
- GPLS 790 - Advanced Cancer Biology (3)
- GPLS 769 - Advances in Immunology (2 cr)
- PREV 616 - Introduction to Clinical and Translational Research (2 cr)
- PREV 633 - App of Legal & Regulatory Issues in Clinical Res (2 cr)
Independent Study Option
Students interested in designing an independent study course should speak with the program director and complete the Independent Study Form for approval.
Periodically courses outside of GPILS may taken, please consult the Program Director for approval.