Requirements for all Molecular Medicine PhD Students
- GPLS 601 Mechanisms in Biomedical Sciences - GPILS Core Course (Fall, 8 cr)
- One of the following four courses:
- GPLS 690 Current Topics in Vascular and Stem Cell Biology (Fall, 1 cr)
- GPLS 691 Current Topics in Neuroscience (Fall, 1 cr)
- GPLS 692 Current Topics in Genome Biology (Fall, 1 cr)
- GPLS 693 Introduction to Molecular Microbiology and Immunology (Fall, 1 cr)
- CIPP 907 Research Ethics (Spring, 1 cr)
- GPLS 647 Molecular Medicine Survival Skills (Fall, 2 cr)
- GPLS 609 Lab Rotations Mol Med (Sec 02, 1 cr, P/F)
Note: Students register for lab rotation credit after completing all three rotations.
- GPLS 608 Seminar Mol Med (Sec 02, 1 cr, P/F)
Note: Students register for seminar credit for the semester in which they defend their thesis proposal.
Research Credits Credits
- GPLS 898 (Pre-candidacy) or GPLS 899 (Post-candidacy)
Note: Students must have at least 12 GPLS 899 Doctoral Dissertation Research credits in order to graduate.
Additional Requirements by Track
- All pre-candidacy students are expected to enroll for 6-8 academic credits/semester, totaling at least 21 academic credits at the time of the qualifying exam
Note: MD-PhD students should have at least 12 academic credits at the time of the qualifying exam.
Course Requirements by Track
The following table outlines the required courses by research track:
Molecular & Cellular
Physiology & Pharmacology
Students have maximum flexibility in the selection of electives based on their interests, research needs, and career goals. Elective credits may be used to fulfill course work required by training grants.
- GPLS 625 Ion Channels (2 cr)
- GPLS 630 Fundamentals of Biostatistics (3 cr)
- GPLS 645 Cells and Systems Physiology (3 cr)
- GPLS 702 Basic Immunology (3 cr)
- GPLS 709 Advanced Biochemistry (3 cr)
- GPLS 710 Microbial Pathogenesis (3 cr)
- GPLS 714 Muscle Contractility and Excitation (3 cr)
- GPILS 715 Muscle Cell Biology and Development (3 cr)
- GPLS 716 Genomics and Bioinformatics (3 cr)
- GPLS 718 Programming and Bioinformatics (3 cr)
- GPLS 721 Microscopy Fundamentals and Modern Imaging Applications (2 cr)
- GPLS 790 Advanced Cancer Biology (3 cr)
- GPLS 616 Molecular Mechanisms of Signal Transduction (3 cr)
- GPLS 623 Molecular Toxicology (3 cr)
- GPLS 642 Nociception of Pain (2 cr)
- GPLS 665 Cancer Biology: From Basic Research to the Clinic (3 cr)
- GPLS 701 Advanced Molecular Biology ( 3 cr)
- GPLS 704 Principles of Virology (3 cr)
- GPLS 717 Genomic Applications (3 cr)
- GPLS 725 Systems-Level Research in Microbial Pathogenesis (3 cr)
- GPLS 728 Genomic Data Science (3 cr)
- GPLS 737 Proseminar in Experimental Design (2 cr)
- GPLS 750 Topics in Molecular Medicine (3 cr)
- GPLS 769 Advances in Immunology (2 cr)
Note: Other Graduate School courses may qualify as electives, but are subject to approval, as they must be relevant coursework towards a PhD degree.
Disclaimer: This website is not a contract and all information is subject to change at any time at the sole discretion of the program.